Cedrus deodara (deodar cedar)
One of the first trees planted on campus, this majestic tree is located on the northeast corner of Royce Hall. Originally from the Himalayan Mountains — where it is considered sacred — this evergreen, coniferous tree can grow to more than 100 feet tall, with level branches and a cone-shaped crown. The Class of 1929 gave UCLA several deodar cedars, which were planted around Royce Hall in 1930. As proof of this gift, check out the plaque posted on a stone bench on the east side of Royce Hall.
Download Photo (145.6 kB)