Don't miss your own graduation! Road closures to know about
By Alison Hewitt June 14, 2012 Category: Campus News
With more than 30 departmental graduation ceremonies scheduled this weekend, grads and guests will want to double-check their travel plans to make sure they don't miss their events due to nearby road closures (map) on the 405 freeway and Wilshire and Sepulveda boulevards.
The closures will not impact UCLA's biggest graduation ceremony, the College of Letters and Science commencement on Friday at 5 p.m., but visitors to and from UCLA on Saturday and Sunday mornings should expect delays and plan alternate routes, such as using the Sunset or Santa Monica exits from the 405 Freeway on Sunday instead of Wilshire.
- From 9 p.m. Friday until 11 a.m. Saturday: Sepulveda Boulevard between Getty Center Drive and Montana Avenue will be reduced to one lane each way for restriping and realigning to return the road to two lanes each way.
- From 11 p.m. Saturday until 11 a.m. Sunday: All Wilshire/I-405 northbound entrance and exit ramps will be closed.
- From 9 p.m. Saturday until 9 a.m. Sunday: Sepulveda Boulevard will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Ohio and Constitution avenues.
- From 10 p.m. Saturday until 9 a.m. Sunday: Wilshire Boulevard will be closed between Veteran and Federal avenues.
The Saturday night disruptions come as L.A. Metro prepares for long-term closures of the Wilshire Boulevard/405 Freeway on- and off-ramps — nicknamed the "Rampture" — which starts on Friday, June 22, a week after gradution. The overnight road closures will allow Southern California Edison to remove overhead utility lines and make way for the Rampture construction.
To help plan visits to and from UCLA, try the following sites:
- Live freeway conditions from SigAlert.com
- City of Los Angeles surface street conditions
- Metro’s information page on the I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project
- UCLA Transportation’s notice about the closures
- UCLA Transportation’s Rampture page on their blog, Be A Green Commuter
- The complete UCLA commencement schedule
View UCLA 2012 graduation traffic advisory in a larger map.