Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA ranked among best children's hospitals in U.S.
By Amy Albin June 06, 2012 Category: Health Sciences
[Correction (June 15, 2012): As a result of programming errors in its initial rankings, U.S. News & World Report has adjusted UCLA's ratings in the specialty areas of cancer and nephrology. The version below reflects those changes.]
Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA has been recognized as one of the nation's top pediatric hospitals in a variety of specialties in U.S. News & World Report's 2012–13 "Best Children's Hospitals" rankings.
Nationally, the hospital was honored for excellence in eight of the rankings' 10 categories, including diabetes and endocrinology (ranked No. 9), nephrology (10), gastroenterology (13), neurology and neurosurgery (20), heart and heart surgery(26),
"We are proud that Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA was once again ranked among some of the nation's best children's hospitals," said Dr. Sherin Devaskar, the hospital's physician-in-chief and UCLA's assistant vice chancellor for children's health, who holds the Mattel Executive Endowed Chair in the UCLA Department of Pediatrics.
"Most notably," Devaskar said, "Our nephrology program was ranked the best in California, our diabetes–endocrinology and neurology–neurosurgery specialties ranked in the top two in California, and our cancer, cardiology–heart surgery and gastroenterology programs ranked in the top three in the state. These rankings acknowledge our dedicated doctors, nurses and staff, who proudly deliver great care and compassion to the children and families at Mattel Children's Hospital."
For families of sick children, "Best Children's Hospitals" provides unparalleled quality-related information in addition to the rankings, including survival rates, the adequacy of nurse staffing, the volume of procedures hospitals perform and more. Since debuting in 2007, the rankings have put an increasing emphasis on data that directly reflect hospitals' performance, rather than the opinions of physicians.
The rankings highlight 50 hospitals in each of 10 pediatric specialties. Eighty hospitals across the country ranked in one or more specialties.
This year, U.S. News surveyed 178 pediatric centers to obtain hard data, such as the availability of key resources and hospitals' ability to prevent complications and infections. A separate reputational survey asked 1,500 pediatric specialists — 150 in each specialty — where they would send the sickest children in their specialty. The rankings were determined by combining the two surveys, with the hospital survey accounting for 75 percent of the rankings' weight and the reputational survey making up the remaining 25 percent.
"Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA deserves high praise for its accomplishments," said Avery Comarow, the health rankings editor for U.S. News. "Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA has a reservoir of dedication and expertise that helps the sickest kids. Our goal at U.S. News is to identify and call attention to pediatric centers like this one."
The full rankings and methodology are available at www.usnews.com/childrenshospitals. The rankings will also be published in the U.S. News' "Best Hospitals 2013" guidebook, which will be available in August.
Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA, one of the highest-rated children's hospitals in California, is a vital component of Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, ranked the fifth best hospital in nation and best in the western United States by U.S. News & World Report. Mattel Children's Hospital offers a full spectrum of primary and specialized medical care for infants, children and adolescents. The hospital's mission is to provide state‑of-the-art medical and surgical treatment for children in a compassionate atmosphere and to improve the understanding and treatment of pediatric diseases.