UCLA students to honor memory of late Coach John Wooden on his 100th birthday Oct. 14
By Claudia Luther October 12, 2010 Category: Campus News
Legendary UCLA men's basketball coach John Wooden, who died June 4, would have been 100 years old Thursday, Oct. 14. In celebration of his life and the inspiration he was to UCLA and the nation, UCLA's Undergraduate Students Association Council (USAC) is staging a commemorative day to honor Wooden.
WHEN | WHERE:
All events will take place Thursday, Oct. 14:
11:40 a.m.–1:10 p.m.
Photo and video opportunities will be available when UCLA students visit two Los Angeles Unified School District campuses to speak with students about the values championed by Coach Wooden, including his renowned Pyramid of Success.
• UCLA Community School (3201 W. 8th St., Los Angeles CA 90005)
• University Senior High School (11800 Texas Ave, Los Angeles CA 90025)
A reception at UCLA's John Wooden Center will feature an exhibit of Coach Wooden memorabilia, cake and the unveiling of a portrait of Coach Wooden by artist Tom Pinch, which is being given to the university for display in the Wooden Center. More information available here.
6 p.m.–approx. 7:30 p.m.
Jasmine Hill, UCLA's undergraduate student body president, will be master of ceremonies at a program in the Wooden Center's Collins Court. The program will feature:
- Highlights from the morning's school visits and the screening of a 19-minute memorial video on Coach Wooden's life.
- The receipt of a City of Los Angeles resolution honoring Coach Wooden.
- A speech by UCLA alumnus and former NBA star Keith Erickson about Coach Wooden's inspiration to others.
- A speech by UCLA Director of Athletics Dan Guerrero about Coach Wooden's legacy and Pauley Pavilion.
- The presenation of the 2010–11 men's and women's basketball teams by UCLA basketball coaches Ben Howland and Nikki Caldwell.
- Appearances by the UCLA Bruin Marching Band and mascots Joe and Josephine Bruin.
Please note: Wooden family members will be present but will not be available for media interviews, per their request.
The Undergraduate Students Association Council is organizing this centennial tribute in recognition of Coach Wooden as an acclaimed leader, mentor and educator who was a living representation of "true Bruin" values and whose impact at the university is everlasting.
For media interested in covering the event:
Oversized vehicles (such as microwave and satellite trucks):
Park in the James West Alumni Center turnaround. Parking is first-come, first served. (map)
Please note: All vehicles must vacate the turnaround by 8 p.m.
Use Parking Structure 6 on Westwood Plaza, north of Strathmore Drive. Before parking, obtain an access permit from the kiosk at Westwood Plaza, just south of Strathmore. (map)
Guests may park in any of UCLA's public lots for $10 per car.
Matt Spring USAC Media Relations, email@example.com
925-719-1664 (cell) | 310-825-7608 (USAC office)