The UCLA Office of Media Relations and many other units across campus will close or operate with reduced hours during the annual winter break, which begins Saturday, Dec. 22. The closure, which saves energy and money, runs through Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019. The campus will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
UCLA police, fire and other incident responders will maintain emergency response capabilities. Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center will remain open.
Members of the news media seeking assistance on urgent matters can reach an on-call media relations representative by calling 310-825-2585.
During the closure, heating, cooling, ventilation and hot water will be turned off in many buildings on campus, but they will remain on in buildings that house research projects requiring power. Due to the time-sensitive nature of some research, certain faculty, staff and students may be working in some buildings. Researchers have been cautioned not to work alone on projects involving hazardous materials or other physical hazards.
Any accidents, spills, fires or other emergency incidents — regardless of size — should be reported immediately by calling 911. Serious injuries should be reported to UCLA’s Office of Environment, Health and Safety, which will monitor its hotline at 310-825-9797.
Other key dates and information:
- The UCLA Police Department will provide 24-hour patrol, take reports and maintain emergency medical services. Safe-travel escorts will be available from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Facilities Management will provide continuous staffing at its trouble call center, reachable at 310-825-9236.
- The UCLA Store in Ackerman Union will be closed beginning Dec. 23, but will be open Dec. 29 from 12 to 6 p.m. coinciding with a basketball game scheduled at Pauley Pavilion.
- Parking at campus pay stations (excluding medical parking areas and event/basketball parking) will be complimentary from Dec. 22, 2018 to Jan. 1, 2019. Parking kiosks serving the medical area parking facilities will be in operation on Dec. 26, 27 and Dec. 28 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. All other kiosks will be closed during winter closure and will reopen at their standard times on Jan. 2. Parking structures will be open to serve permit holders, with the exception of Luskin Conference Center Parking, which will be available only to permit holders for that specific area. The Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center valet parking and cashiering lobby will be open 24 hours/day throughout the closure.
- The Fowler Museum will maintain its regular hours and the Hammer Museum will also have regular hours, except it will be closed on Christmas and News Year’s Day.