The yearlong celebration of UCLA’s 100th birthday kicks off Saturday May 18 as the campus welcomes lifelong Bruins home for its annual UCLA Alumni Day, featuring performances, speakers, campus tours and more. For the centennial year, the campus will host its annual TEDxUCLA conference on the same day as Alumni Day.
After the sun sets, Royce Hall will serve as the backdrop for a special light and sound projection show highlighting the people, breakthroughs and moments that have defined UCLA’s first century.
Saturday, May 18
11 a.m.–8 p.m. UCLA Alumni Day
1 p.m. TEDxUCLA
8 p.m. “Lighting the Way” light and sound projection show
UCLA Alumni Day
UCLA scholars will give presentations and participate in panel discussions, and the UCLA Alumni Band will perform. A panel presentation at 1 p.m. in Korn Convocation Hall (map) will feature a conversation among UCLA’s current chancellor, Gene Block, and former UCLA chancellors Charles E. Young and Albert Carnesale, who collectively have led the campus for more than five decades.
A partial list of UCLA alumni scheduled to speak:
- Dan Beckerman, CEO, Anschutz Entertainment Group
- Adam Cheyer, cofounder, Siri
- Tom Corson, COO, Warner Brother Records
- Anna Lee Fisher, chemist and former NASA astronaut
- Matea Gold, national political enterprise and investigations editor, Washington Post
- Tim McNeal, head of creative talent and inclusion, Disney
- Christine Simmons, chief operating officer, Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences
- Casey Wasserman, chairman, LA 2028, and CEO, Wasserman
Scheduled to speak:
- Valorie Kondos Field, retiring UCLA gymnastics coach
- Maryann Jacobi Gray, UCLA assistant provost
- Marques Johnson, UCLA alumnus and five-time NBA All-Star
- Dr. Andrew Leuchter, UCLA psychiatrist and biobehavioral scientist
- Chuck McCarthy, Los Angeles people walker
- Mayank Mehta, UCLA physicist
- Jill Neubert, JPL space scientist
- Shawntel Okonkwo, UCLA doctoral scholar in molecular biology
- William E. Simon Jr., philanthropist and physical education advocate
- Peter Taylor, California State University trustee
- Jordyn Wieber, UCLA alumna and Olympic gold medalist
The program also will include a performance about measuring eternity by Alexander Gedeon, Haeun Jung and Yuki Izumihara.
UCLA Alumni Day: Wilson Plaza (map) and other campus locations
TEDxUCLA and “Lighting the Way” show: Royce Hall (map)
Jessica Wolf, email@example.com, 310-825-1046
Katherine Alvarado, firstname.lastname@example.org, 310-794-6847
MEDIA REGISTRATION AND PARKING
UCLA Alumni Day and TEDxUCLA are ticketed events. Journalists interested in covering these events should contact UCLA media representatives (above) for seating.
The “Lighting the Way” show is free and open to the public. Camera crews planning to cover the show are asked to contact the UCLA media representatives to arrange for truck parking.