Proposals are now being accepted for the UCLA Faculty Career Development Award program. This program provides funding for regular rank assistant professors at a critical time in the pre-tenure stage. The funding is to assist faculty as they advance an on-going research project, creative activity or as they embark on a new project. Awards are made in the form of a lump sum of $5,000 to $15,000 in research funds.
The Faculty Career Development Awards for academic year 2018–19 provides regular rank assistant professors with support for scholarship and creative activities necessary for promotion to tenure. Special consideration will be given to regular rank assistant professors who have helped build an equal learning environment and/or whose research or creative activities further inclusive excellence for the university or community at-large. Priority will be given to those who have held the assistant professor rank for at least one academic year.
Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Applications are invited from assistant professors in the regular rank professorial series, with the exception of individuals for whom academic year 2018–19 will be his or her final year as assistant professor because of promotion, non-reappointment or resignation.
- Although prior recipients may apply for another award, priority will be given to those who have not previously received an award.
- Recipients must be willing to serve as a resource for future office of equity, diversity and inclusion programs.
Applicants should submit the following materials to their department chairs:
- Completed application form.
- Proposal, two–three pages in length, outlining;
- career plans and progress;
- detailed description of the project to be undertaken during the award period;
- budget outline;
- statement of how the project addresses equity, diversity and inclusion and/or how the applicants’ efforts — either formal or informal — have contributed to enhancing and supporting an equal learning or working environment at the university or in the community at-large.
- Curriculum vitae.
The review process for all applications is as follows:
- The department chair will forward all application materials to the dean of the school or division, with a recommended priority listing and comments, including any departmental advisory committee comments in each packet.
- The dean will use the form on the equity website to submit all of the applications to the UCLA Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. The submission should include an overall priority listing and comments on each application.
- A committee of faculty members will be appointed to review the applications and make recommendations to the vice chancellor, who will make the final award decisions.
Please note the following deadlines:
- Applications due to department chairs from applicants: March 12
- Applications due to deans from department chairs: March 26
- Electronic applications due to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion from deans: April 6
Notification letters will be sent promptly to all applicants after award decisions are finalized in May. Detailed information regarding the Faculty Career Development Award program can be found on the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Funding Opportunities webpage.
Please contact Brandie Kirkpatrick at extension 67411 or email@example.com if you have any questions regarding the policies and procedures for this program.